10 March 2018
Roy Lichtenstein, 1923-1997
Landscape No 5. Sunset. 1967.
Original screenprint in colours with collage of colour Rowlux in pink and turquoise and ‘moiré’ opaque texture. 1967. Signed and dated in pencil on the reverse. Numbered in pencil from the edition of 100 on the reverse. Drawn and created with hand-cut stencils by the artist and hand-cut reflective Rowlux at Fine Creations Inc., New York. Issued by Original Editions - Leo Castelli Gallery, New York, 1967. Complete with the original small title label on the reverse.
Issued as No 5 in the series: Ten Landscapes, 1967.
Provenance: Longtime Private European Collection, two generations by descent.
Ref: Corlett - The Prints of Roy Lichtenstein no 55.
Note: In 1967, with the encouragement of Leo Castelli, Lichtenstein decided to embark on a series of landscape compositions using colour screenprint and variations of additional techniques. This series was simply titled as: ‘Ten Landscapes’. In these works Lichtenstein wanted to investigate not the depiction of actual landscape but the visual perception of landscape. In the previous year he had made his first experiments with plastic Rowlux as a surface. This material, invented for commercial uses, has a light reflective surface from which the light changes in colour tone depending on the angle at which it is seen. In addition the surface can be moulded and the form of the light modified by treating it to have a type of ‘moiré’ finish. The prints (and paintings) for which he used this material are amongst the very greatest and most inventive images in Lichtenstein’s early oeuvre. Lichtenstein described Rowlux as ‘being perfect for sky and water, which move and change their appearance constantly’.
This example of ‘Landscape No 5. Sunset’ is in outstandingly fine condition, both in colour and surface. Impressions in this condition are extremely uncommon.
Superb impression with brilliant colours. On collaged sheets of white board and plastic. In exceptionally fine fresh condition. Printed to the full sheet size: 375 x 450 mm.
William Weston Gallery – Website Sale by Offer
Offer Instructions and Conditions
1. Offer period Opens: Friday 18th January. Closes: Friday 25th January Note: Please see the individual items on our website for their time of closing (all times listed are London time / GMT).
2. The works for sale are fully described and illustrated on our website: www.williamweston.co.uk. Click 'Sale by Offer' on our homepage. The description of each work is guaranteed. The terms of this 'Sale by Offer' apply only to works in the relevant section of our website, not to any other works listed on our website or in the gallery.
3. Each work can be VIEWED ON OUR WEBSITE (www.williamweston.co.uk) from Friday 18th January once you have registered for the Sale using the online form provided. Click 'Sale by Offer' on the gallery website home page. Then, having read and agreed to the conditions of 'Sale by Offer', please register for the sale using the online form - you will then be given access to full descriptions and large scale illustrations. Works can also be viewed on request at the gallery. Registration does not commit you in any way to making any bids in the Sale by Offer.
4. Prices: The website lists the full price at which the work would be offered in the gallery and the 'Opening Offer Price'.
5. Works will be sold to the highest offer above the 'Opening offer' price which has been received by the relevant closing time (London time / GMT) on Friday 25th January.
6. All works are unmounted and unframed; condition as described. Mounting and framing will be available to purchasers at cost.
To Make an Offer:
ALL OFFERS MUST BE MADE THROUGH THE WILLIAM WESTON GALLERY WEBSITE. www.williamweston.co.uk
1. Offers (which cannot be below at the 'Opening offer' price) must be made on our website. After registering for the Sale by Offer using the online form, please logon using the password given to you when you registered. Once logged on please click on the item which interest you. At the bottom of the description you will see listed either 'Opening Offer' (if no offer has been made) or 'Current Offer', 'Gallery Price' and 'Next Offer'. If you agree to the amount listed under 'Next Offer' click on the button 'Place Bid'. You will receive confirmation of your offer by e-mail. If your offer is outbid you will receive a different e-mail to inform you of the fact. The William Weston Gallery takes no responsibility for any e-mails not received.
2. Commission Offer. You may also send us a commission offer to bid on your behalf up to a maximum that you choose. Use the same instructions listed above except instead of clicking 'Place Bid' select 'Click here to leave a Commission Offer on this item'. You will receive confirmation of your Commission Offer by e-mail. If two identical Commission Offers for the same item are received the first one registered will be deemed to take precedence. We will place an offer on your behalf, in the increments indicated below, up to your quoted maximum, so as to try to acquire the item as cheaply as possible against other offers received.
Commission Offer Note: The William Weston Gallery will be making offers on your behalf under their own 'Bidder Number' Please do not make additional offers under your own 'Bidder Number' - if you do so you may be unintentionally making offers against yourself. The William Weston Gallery will try to obtain this item for you for the lowest possible amount up to your maximum offer. You can follow the sale on our website.
ANY COMMISSION OFFER MADE MUST BE RECEIVED 24 HOURS BEFORE THE CLOSE OF BIDDING OF THE ITEM (BID CLOSING TIME IS DETAILED ON THE WEBSITE). ANY COMMISSION OFFER RECEIVED AFTER THIS TIME WILL BE AT THE DISCRETION OF THE WILLIAM WESTON GALLERY. The William Weston Gallery takes no responsibility for any Commission Bids not received.
3. Offers must follow these increments:
Under £500 increments of £20
Over £500 to under £1,000 increments of £50
Over £1,000 to under £4,000 increments of £100
Over £4,000 to under £10,000 increments of £200
Over £10,000 increments of £500
OFFERS MUST BE MADE IN POUNDS STERLING.
4. All offers received are firm offers and are not subject to cancellation by the client.
5. William Weston Gallery expressly takes no responsibility for the non-receipt or non-execution of any offer. Sending an offer implies full agreement with the offer and payment terms set out here.
6. Payments: Successful purchasers will be invoiced at the close of the 'Sale by Offer'. Payment must be made within seven daysby Visa, Master Card, debit card, bank transfer or bank draft. Credit Card details should be sent to us by fax (not be e-mail for security reasons). Fax number +44 (0) 20 7491 9240. Details must include card type, card number, expiry date, security number and confirmation of billing address.
Note: The 'Sale by Offer' applies only to the works in this catalogue and the works detailed on our website under 'Sale by Offer'. They do not apply to all works on our website or to other works in the gallery. The 'Sale by Offer' is only valid for the period of the sale as indicated above. William Weston Gallery reserves the right to refuse any offer or withdraw any of the works listed without having to state a reason.
Press ESCAPE, Click on X (right-top) or Click Out from the popup to close the popup!